Significant volumes of combustible industrial waste from European deposits are converted to recovered fuels for power generating or co-combustion in cement industry and further branches. Coal flotation sludge and petrochemical sludges (acid tar) are two main types of this waste where liming is applied.
- Quicklime is used in coal sludge treatment to reduce its water content and solidify the sludge. It contributes to capture sulphur directly in the boiler, similarly to hot side boiler injection (link to FGD Site). Quicklime reactivity shall be adjusted to keep the balance between dewatering efficiency and fire safety at fuel treatment and handling.
- Quicklime and/or lime-based binders are used together with various sorbents to convert petrochemical sludges to fuel. Lime neutralises sludge acidity, reduces water content and helps solidify the sludge directly or within a blended binder.
Key benefits of STABICALCO range and cooperation with Carmeuse on waste-to-fuel recovery
- STABICALCO QU is extremely suppressed reactivity quicklime for petrochemical sludge treatment; it was developed for maximum fire safety at the treatment site
- STABICALCO QB binders are always customised to individual treatment / recovery sites and projects
- Carmeuse can reuse solidified coal sludge in own lime kilns to close the total environmental loop